Multiple Sclerosis is a relevant human condition for our Well Past Forty Project which merits mention – and I’ll take that for action.
A Master of Science graduate degree? Not “that” M.S.”
“M.S.” as the subject of this post, is a rather ominous sounding condition for far too many folks – METABOLIC SYNDROME.
Too many Americans – as in three (3) million each year become part of this infographic’s terrible statistics (Thank you, Dr. Axe). OY!
And, if age 60 is indeed the new 40, we’ve got a major societal problem.
Aussies label Metabolic Syndrome as “CHAOS” – for good reason! “It affects one in five people, and prevalence increases with age. Some studies estimate the prevalence in the USA to be up to 25% of the population.”
Are there markers for a “3 outta 5” cluster on which your Primary Care Physician will alert?
Definitely – review entries in this American Heart Association table for five (5) possible eye-opener ELEVATIONS or epiphanies:
- Elevated waist circumference:
- Men — Equal to or greater than 40 inches (102 cm)
- Women — Equal to or greater than 35 inches (88 cm)
- (I’ll blog more about pear- and apple-shaped silhouettes in a future post – visceral and subcutaneous fat locations matter!)
2. Elevated triglyceride levels:
- Equal to or greater than 150 mg/dL
3. Reduced HDL (“good”) cholesterol:
- Men — Less than 40 mg/dL
- Women — Less than 50 mg/dL
4. Elevated blood pressure:
- Equal to or greater than 130/85 mm Hg, or use of medication for hypertension
5. Elevated fasting glucose:
- Equal to or greater than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L), or use of medication for hyperglycemia
(Our American Diabetes Association is in stride with these AHA markers above).
Americans – We HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS here!
Is there hope for millions of us? It depends, regrettably.
If a person chooses to break away from CHAOS, a statistical answer is YES (if and when he or she complies with lifestyle, diet and fitness improvements).
Organicfacts.net offers these simple unmedicated steps to counter MS:
It is NOT my intent to advocate any of these remedies.
YET…prudent people may wish to check some MS remedies out, (as they stay in touch with their MDs/ health care professionals).
In closing, here is my 3-M big bet for current and future sufferers of MS in this national pandemic:
- Medications which may be prescribed / required :(.
- Minimize portions, maximize low-glycemic foods in healthier diets.
This MS – aka SYMPTOM X, or CHAOS is far scarier than Friday the 13th horror movies, in my opinion.